We were invited to two different potlucks this weekend. It was loads of fun, but they were both a little spur of the moment. So, I had to scrape together some recipes and make sure that we still had ingredients for this weeks meals.
It occurred to me, while cutting two pounds of potatoes and slathering them with layers of shallots and leeks, that there are some distinct problems with potlucks. First of all, how much food do you make? This isn't always a problem if know how many people will be there, but you don't always, and this was my case. So, I decided to make two smallish dishes for the first potluck.
The second problem is that you are basically putting your culinary reputation on the line by showing up with anything at a potluck. If the dish is awful, you will be forced to make The Walk of Shame; when one has to pick up there dish and admit to the world that, "yes, I made this casserole/salad/dessert and no one ate it because it was awful." Then you pack it up and take it home, to sit in the fridge until you finally are brave enough to peak under the lid. If you are smart you'll just dump it in the bushes on your way out, because, ya know, it really was awful.
(These went over pretty well. I mean, I liked 'em)
Another distinct problem is when your food is really, really good. Doesn't sound like a problem? Well, it isn't unless you have someone praising your food to the skies (note: this is not something I am too familiar with) while another person's food, who is sitting right there of course, goes completely unnoticed (note: I am much more familiar with this). Of course, this is one of those happy problems when it happens, but it is still a little awkward.
But, even with these potential problems, we had a fun time at both of them. We met several people from our neighborhood and ward and had lots of delicious food and good conversation, which is what it's really about. Not about the social and culinary insecurities one might be presented with.
But, even with these potential problems, we had a fun time at both of them. We met several people from our neighborhood and ward and had lots of delicious food and good conversation, which is what it's really about. Not about the social and culinary insecurities one might be presented with.
And anyway, my food did well, so I'm not worried.
2 comments:
Okay here is a subject on which I am a expert... My first married experiences were in a small farming town where everyone was judged on cooking. I thought this was normal.
Skip ahead many years...Phoenix. I was rushed one pot luck or forgot food was required or something and ended up bringing pizza. It was a huge hit. In fact we were back far enough in the line that it was gone before my kids got any and they were mad. It was cheap pizza. There were many whispers, who brought the pizza????
We I became known for bringing pizza. (Little Cesars is $5.00) I don't always bring pizza but I no longer break into a sweat when a potluck is announced...and I have had many busy mothers thank me for opening up the ward parties to them! Especially if they work and don't have time to impress us all. For a while another family brought hot dogs in a cock pot. At Stephanie's dinner someone brought tacos from Taco Bell.
Your dishes do look amazing and it is fun to make stuff for people too. But its okay to take your kids to church if you can't find their church shoes and it's okay to take pizza to a potluck if you need to.
thanks for the gf girl blog--i have looked at it before, but not recently. she has some good ideas.
Post a Comment