Monday, October 1, 2007

If You're Going to San Fransisco...

Forget the flowers and just try and spend more time there. On Saturday we went with the ward up the Alameda, which is across the bay from the San Fransisco. We got into the city and you could feel all the energy of the piers and the markets and the people and it was really wonderful. I thought, nevermind the ferry, let's just stay here! But, we went with the ferry plan anyway and it was a lot of fun.
The boys were so amazed with the wake of the boat, which is why they are looking at that and not the camera. The ferry ride only took about twenty minutes and then when we got off everyone just scattered in different directions. I guess we were expecting more of an event, but that apparently wasn't part of the plan, so we just headed along the path by the bay.

It was a nice walk, though it ended up being a lot longer than we thought, so when we got to the "shops" we decided to just head back to the ferry and let the boys run around a little. But then I realized that I had dropped my sweatshirt somewhere along the path and ran back to get it. I thought Zach had stayed with the boys. What he actually did was follow me. When I found the sweatshirt, a mere five minutes back the path, I cut through back to where I thought Zach and the boys were. Zach didn't see this because it is a windy path. This was the beginning of a 45 minute search of me freaking out, having no idea where he went, realizing that he had probably followed me down the path and could now be anywhere, worrying we were going to miss the ferry and have to spend a fortune to get back across, worrying that they had been hit by a bus and taken to the hospital, starting to cry, trying to talk myself out of crying, seeing the guy on the bicycle twice, having the eleven year old boy stop me to tell me about his lemonade stand, yelling out "ZACH!" all around, asking people if they had seen a man with two strollers (and as to you, Mr. I-can't-even-stop-for-two-seconds-to-answer-your-question; you suck. Everyone else, thank you.) Finally, I just headed back to the ferry. On the way there I saw Zach running towards me and I started to ran toward him. We collapsed into each others arms. Very dramatic. "Where were you!?!" It seems he had had a similar experience, except mostly on the path. It was awful. Everything went wrong. The ferry had been waiting for us and people started clapping when we got on. It probably would have funny if the previous forty-five minutes wasn't so hellish. So, thanks to Joni and Aaron for watching the boys while Zach came looking for me. Thanks to the good ferry people for not leaving us. And thanks to Zach, for running to meet me.

No comments: