Friday, September 26, 2008

Conversations with Little People

A lot has changed since we left for Spain. For instance, the boys are bigger. They can now open all the doors in the the house, except the front one when it is locked (thank goodness!) and they can climb up on pretty much everything. They are also taller, which means there is an even smaller amount of "safe space" for me to put breakables and the like. Oh, and here is a big difference for you: They are chatterboxes. They love to talk. Love it. And we love to hear them talk and hold little conversations with them. Because you don't ever really know what they are going to say. Or what they are saying, sometimes. So, here are a couple short conversations that I have had with the boys.

Me: (After hearing Sam hit the wall with something) Hey, be careful in there!
Sam: No.
__________________________________________________

Sam and Ben are walking up the stairs. Sam slips.
Ben: Okay, Sam?
Sam: Ya, I okay.
Ben: Okay.
__________________________________________________

I am sitting at the computer and Ben and Sam bring me a bottle of chocolate syrup (also, they can now open the refrigerator by themselves - terrible news!)
Sam: Mommy, chocolate milk.
Ben: I want chocolate in cup.
(they repeat various forms of this for several minutes)
Ben & Sam: Peas! (translation: Please!)
--- This is a constant conversation we have. All the time. ---
__________________________________________________

We were on a walk when we saw three black squirrels jumping around in someone's yard.
Me: Look boys! Squirrels!
Ben & Sam: (excited laughter)
Ben: Hello, squirrels!
Sam: That so funny. Mommy - so funny!
Me: Are those squirrels funny?
Sam: Yes. So funny!
__________________________________________________

Ben and I are sitting at the kitchen table eating our cereal. Sam is still asleep because he was up late the night before.
Ben: Where Sam?
Me: He's still asleep.
Ben: Asleep? Why?
Me: Because he's still tired.
Ben: I not asleep. (Pause) Cereal.
Me: Uh-huh.
Ben: Gabbers incoherently about Sam being asleep and cereal - I think his point was - Sam had better wake up or he not going to get any cereal.
__________________________________________________

Later when Sam wakes up we have this conversation:
Sam: Hey! What's that?
Me: What?
Sam: Hey, get out a house!
Me: Who are you telling to get out?
Sam: (Pause) Tiger get out. (Growls) Tiger get out my house!
Me: Is there a tiger in our house?
Ben: No tiger in house. Outside. Go get him, Mommy. Go get him.
(This conversation repeats several times in various forms.)
__________________________________________________

Thanks for reading. I'm sure there are more to come.

7 comments:

Theresa said...

ahhhhh,.... they are at a really cute,.. (terrible 2) fun age! haha. I love the conversations,.. haha.

Unknown said...

Those were so fun. It's fun to finally know what is going on in kids brains!

meg said...

that is too funny, but you left us hanging--did you get the tiger, or not?
i love the way they talk to each other. the only thing cuter than kids talking is kids talking to each other.

Theresa said...

yah,.. I love the "ok ben? yah,.. i okay" when they're so cute and concerned for each other it's adoreable. haha.

Katie said...

It is so, so sweet to hear them talking to each other. It's about my favorite thing ever. And, no, I never looked for or found any tigers, because, as I told the boys at the time, I don't want any tigers in our house. None.

Anonymous said...

Love the conversations. This is such a great period, as are they all. Hang in there and enjoy...these are those wondrous years of exploration and you have two wonderful little boys ready to lead you both into the grand world of learning through the eyes of two year olds. love, etc as always, Gma/GGma

Allison said...

Hi Katie, this is Allison from your old Applewood days. I found your blog from Theresa who I found from Megan who I found from lillian's blog. Whoa. Anyway, just wanted to say hi. Your boys are darling!!!! I haven't seen them before. If you ever want to look up our blog, send me an email. justallison02@yahoo.com . Looks like you enjoy mommyhood.