Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spain: A Summer Abroad

After several months of debates, number crunching, daydreaming and pros/cons lists, we have decided that we will be spending the summer in Catalonia, Spain.

Yep. We are crazy. And it is very exciting.

Girona, Spain

Zach will be studying Catalan while we are there. In fact, that is the whole point. Catalan in one of the official languages of Spain, spoken in Catalonia, which is in North Eastern Spain. And no, it is not just a dialect of Spanish, it's as different from Spanish as Portuguese or French.

Market in Barcelona

We are going to be there the entire summer, from June to September. That's actually the only way we could afford to do it, because we'll be subletting our apartment the entire time and it is cheaper to live in Spain than here.

Giant Paella - a favorite Spanish dish

We are still deciding on whether or not to live in Barcelona, the big city, or Girona, a smaller town farther north, near the Costa Brava.

Oh, that's the Costa Brava below, by the way. Ya. Ya, I know.

Costa Brava

Zach is going to be studying for the month of July and then we are pretty much free for the rest of the time. Isn't that kinda incredible and amazing? Of course, we are still limited by funds. Of course. But we've been living frugally for a quite a while now to have some money for this. So, hopefully we will be able to have a little bit of fun over there. Hopefully a lot if we are smart. Because there is so much fun to be had.

Tapas

So, now all we have to do is decide where we are living, find an apartment and get over there.

Oh, and learn Spanish. I really need to learn Spanish.



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! This is incredibly exciting news! I am so glad that you have this opportunity!

Theresa said...

oh Katie,.. I'm so totally jealous! hahaha,... how fun and exciting. :) you will be posting loads of pics I'm sure.

Brittany said...

Holy cow, you are a brave soul. If anyone can do it - and with flair - it's you guys.

Theresa said...

i told you dan's doing his study abroad this summer right? so that's why i'm jealous. I don't get to go. :( oh well. that's what I get for costing so much. haha.

Vanessa said...

What a great opportunity for your family. Sounds like so much fun. Take advantage!

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled for you all, as well as jealous. I'm excited over a trip to Maine, imagine what I would be like going to Spain. What an opportunity for you all, especially the boys. They are at the perfect age to soak up the culture, language, and foods (paella,yum,one of my favorites). It's like Chris, Jen, etal and France.

Anonymous said...

Thant anonymous is me. Once again I hit the wrong button...The computer geek at work!

meg said...

that is so incredible! we're only young once! i love seeing people go on adventures like this, especially when they have kids. way to go!