But, time moved on and half-way through the visit Ben was laughing at being hit hard in the chest by Quincy's insanely, powerful tail and Sam was riding Harry like a horse, as I have already shown in previous posts. They loved them! Both boys thought both dogs were glorious. Whether or not the feelings were mutual is anyone's guess.
So now, here I am, wishing that I could give my adorable, lovable toddlers their own adorable, lovable (though probably much less so) dog. Of course, this is impossible. Absolutely impossible. Because we are living in a place that forbids pets of any kind. Even fish. They probably would even be upset with sea monkeys or a chia pet. And for you rebels and hippies out there who are saying that we should do it anyway, well there is a large and terrifying fine for those who would dare to defy this rule. And there are probably a lot of snitches who would sell us down the river without even thinking about it.
Oh, and unless we get kicked out for some reason, we're going to be here for the next 4-5 years. So, this all totals up to the fact that the boys will probably be about 6 years old before we can even start to think about getting them a dog. Or any fake pets for that matter.
And yet, here I am, looking up and researching good dogs for my little boys. And I've found one. Actually two. Ya, see Zach wants a beagle:
I want a wheaten terrier.
Lovable, crazy adorable, full of energy, no shedding, require lotsa grooming.
Lovable, crazy adorable, full of energy, no shedding, require lotsa grooming.They are both breeds that the internet says should have lots of energy and need lots of exersize. Which sounds like Ben and Sam. Perfect. And they are both cute, but I guess I'm just dissapointed with beagles ever since I learned that they usually sleep in and not on their doghouses. Terribly upsetting. So, if anyone wants to weigh in on this completely silly and ridiculous debate and give us your two cents, by all means, feel free. But, if I don't get back to you right away, please forgive me. I'm researching how one toilet trains dogs. I really have to figure this one out.
7 comments:
I am in love with both choices,.. but Katie,.. you mustn't,.. you can't,...you will have to find a new place to live so that you can,.. ok,.. that was forward thinking,...anyway...
The best way to toilet train the dog is to keep it in a crate with food and water when it is not playing so that it will eat and drink lots,.. (oh and the crate has to be just small enough that they would have to basically go on themselves if they went inside the box,. .this way they can't go in the corner then walk away from it and lie down)...then u take them out to go potty often because they will need to go a lot. You do this until the puppy learns not to go in the house while you are there,...Keep lots of cleaner on hand and be willing to have messes on the floor because they will happen. This usually takes a little while to work. However, no matter how good they are while you're home, whenever you leave the house, they should be crated for the first 2 years of life so that they can get past they're chewing phase, learn the rules of the house, and learn to deal with separation anxiety before they are left to roam the house free while you're gone. That is the best way to toilet train a dog. According to everyone that I asked about it.
Now,.. if you ask me if I was successful at doing any of that I would have to tell you no. We spoiled ours rotten and yes we've had way more accidents than we would have if we'd done it this way.
Wow, Theresa. You really know your stuff. I'll have to remember that.
yeah,... :) maybe I need to remember some of it too. hehe.
the only other method I know of is paper training, which is what we're using at the moment not having as much leisure or ability to let our dog bark while we're not there. but I'm probably going to start locking him up while we're gone for the day this summer because I don't have any qualms about cleaning messy cages or dogs or anything like that and this one is too free to do what he wants. he's not learning the way things are properly.
Well, I'm not really worried. I've got more than enough time to figure this all out.
Love both your choices Kati, but as you know Gpa and I adopted often. I love beagles (we had one years ago and he was a dear) and of course adore Daschunds (dear Jenny), but we found there were so many abused dogs out there that needed a good home, as well as being cheaper,and they make great pets (ie Penny and Scruff) As to potty training it is a matter of dog too. Some are stubborn, others just don't care and then there are ones like Fluffy (another one from the past) and Penny who just wouldn't dirty anything in the house. Penny waits from when I leave in the am until I get home from work and never any mess! You will note the ones we had no problem with were females. Males have a tendency to mark their territory and seem to feel it is a repititive need. When the time comes you'll know. Also consider border collies (check with Kristi) and if you don't want shedding a poodle or poodle mix (ie Scruff). It's good research time though and think of all the knowledge you are amassing. I love it! Xs & Os to all. Gma
with ours, our female is the one who doesn't care. Our male is really good and tries really hard to hold it,.. and our youngest male also doesn't care. We probably didn't train them right though,..but if our experience shows anything, then maybe gender doesn't matter where potty training concerns, it's probably more the temperament of the dog which is really hard to guage unless they're older.
Post a Comment