Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Little Boys are Weird

Sam and Ben - my little weirdos

I am constantly reminded of how odd people can be. Especially little people, like my little people. Ben and Sam are so weird. If you have any doubts, then please read the following list of actual, I'm-not-making-this-up, unembellished toddler actions:

Ben - he ate all of these oranges
  • A while ago Ben and Sam arbitrarily switched cribs. One day they both just wanted to sleep in the other crib.
  • Somersaults - where they fall flat on their backs and get up laughing
  • Pretend to be asleep so we can say, "1, 2, 3, Wake up!"
  • Give kisses when they hurt the other one in some way (as long as they are not still upset)
  • Climb everything. Everything.
  • They love to wear the boots that are two sizes too big. Especially to bed
  • Make me put on their jackets, even when we are staying inside
  • Bring me dvds that they want to watch. Usually, The Wiggles, Cars, and Sword in the Stone, but Ben has really wanted to watch A Bridge Too Far.
  • Will guide me by pushing and pulling to sit with them or look at something or just go somewhere
  • Bring me books to read, everything from Dr. Seuss, language dictionaries, and cards.
  • Sam likes to stack the DVDs he's pulled off the shelves
  • They like to knock everything off any flat surface like the couch, tables or bookcases for no apparent reason.
  • Eat things off the floor but turn their noses up at proper food
  • Eat dirt. And love it.
  • Sam doesn't like to be without a diaper, to the point where he'll freak out in the tub. We've taken to putting swim diapers on him and he is happy with that.
  • Ben is an exhibitionist. He would rather not wear clothes and likes to occasionally removes his diaper.
  • Pull the dirt out of my potted plants.
  • They will defend each other if another kid starts bothering one of them, even if they were fighting just a moment before
  • Sam is an early bird
  • Ben is a night owl
  • They are just so, so silly
Sam's silly face

There are more. Lots more. Little quirks and oddities that make them my adorable, weird little boys. Ya, I guess they are not weirder than any other children, but still! Our opinions may differ in other areas, but I think you will all agree with my hypothesis: little boys are weird.
And wonderful.

6 comments:

Theresa said...

the story of them defending each other even when they were fighting moments before reminds me of tweedle dee and tweedle dum from alice in wonderland,.. that one recently with christopher lloyd in it I think,...i guess it was 1999 has whoopi goldberg as the cheshire cat,.. anyway they tell a true version of tweedle dee and tweedle dum in there,.. but perhaps you don't want to waste your time on the rest of the movie,.. haha. at any rate,..

they are sooo cute,.. and they love you or they wouldn't invite you to be part of their wierd little activities,... :) A bridge too far!?? hahahaha.

Vanessa said...

They are the cutest! I love it that they are such good friends. Asher is the same way with food. Floor food is contraband and thus, it is exciting.

Unknown said...

That was so entertaining, like I was in the life of twins! I am always fascinated by twins, but especially by their mother's. I love to hear how you love your boys, but still it must be crazy!!! They are so sweet. I also love hearing how different they are.

Anonymous said...

They are just happy, healthy, well loved little boys, secure in their enviroment and ready to take on the world. I do have a hint for you though - girls aren't much different and can be just as interesting - ask any gma. The pics are delightful and I managed to get the one of them sleeping to hang on my desk. Give them big hugs and kisses - love you all, Gma/GGma

Ellis said...

Great essay on the weirdness of little boys. I enjoyed it as well.

Yancy said...

maybe Sam is a never-nude like Tobias.