Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Date Night Dinner

You may have noticed that little poll I put up at the side of the blog asking how much on average you would spend on a date night dinner. The reason? A couple of weeks ago I was watching America's Test Kitchen and Chris Kimball of bow-tie fame said that you couldn't even eat out for less than $120 these days and I said.............."Whaaaaat?" And then after my heart started beating again I wondered if some people really do spend that kind of money on eating out. I know that he is in a different part of the country, and that a lot of that expense is probably coming from bottles of wine, and that Chris and I are at very different stages of our lives, but still, I think he is spending way too much on dinner. And according to the results of my super-duper scientific study, so do you. Of my multitude of participants, most spent only $10-$20 on date night dinner. Conclusion? Either Chris is out of touch, or the readers of this poll are really frugal. I'll let you decided on that one.

6 comments:

Stef said...

The readers are definitely frugal. You can't even get two meals and two drinks at Applebee's for less than twenty bucks! Add an app or a dessert plus tip and you're pushing forty bucks!

Then, if your on to the movies, there's another twenty bucks--even if you sneak in your own concessions!!!

Last, Ry and I, until now, have always had to pay for babysitting. We pay between 7 and 10 dollars and hour for babysitting. For dinner and a movie, that's three plus hours. Our grand date night total:
$40 Applebee's
$20 Movies
$30 minimum for babysitting
= 90 bucks.

That's what we typically spend. I don't think that's lavish, I think it's reality.

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

$120 for dinner? That guy is out of his mind! No wonder everyone is in debt over their ears! Ha! You can EASILY do a good dinner date for under $40....like....WAY under $40, more around $20 :)

meg said...

i think it does depend on what you want and what you're expecting. we don't spend on alcohol, and we try to get take-out. we just don't eat out at all, really, but when we do, we don't spend more than $30.

Vanessa said...

We never get appetizers or desserts and usually drink water. And date nights usually consist of a walk or a trip to the temple. And paying the babysitter. We may spend $40 on dinner for anniversaries or birthdays. We got a gift card for $50 to PF Chang's once from Paul's work and it was hard to spend it all. Somehow, we managed :)

Tacee said...

It's actually pretty easy to spend that much dining out. My mom and I ate a Cave B once and just for the two of us it was about $70. The table next to us ordered the same thing we did plus they got wine. We figured out there total to be just under $200 for 3 people. And that's in the little poe-dunk town of George Washington.

Anonymous said...

Not ordering Alcohol saves a great deal. But it gets you less service because the tip is smaller.
Shauna