Now, here comes the dilemma. My parents always encouraged our creative sides and what not, and this is why, while Cory had it in his possession, he Sharpied it.
(note: The top of this dresser has never, ever been this tidy before. That's why I took the picture today.)
Now, I really like the squiggles. I always thought they, and Cory, were pretty awesome. So much so, that when Carina had it in her and Jackson's possession and wanted to paint it, I protested.
I think this is why I ended up with the dresser in the (possible) end. Now some of the ink is fading and it doesn't really match the boys room decor (Decor: Little Boy) and I am wondering if I should paint it, in spite of my previous stink.
So, what think ye people? Should I paint it, or leave it as a memorial to artistic idealism? If I did paint it, I was thinking of doing something like these pictures below, except in different colors. Also, I wouldn't be able to do the cut-outs because the drawers are not flush like those below.
Well? What do you think? I'm also open to suggestions, but nothing too cutesy or kitschy please. What would be the most awesome solution? Because that's what we're going for here, people. And we will settle for nothing less. Unless it's too hard. Then, well... we'll just settle.

11 comments:
You've got pictures as a memorial. So paint! Paint! Paint!
just my humble opinion...
I'm thinking bling! Lot's of gold glitter, maybe some spot lights to make it really pop. Zach did not make this comment.
i agree with jodie, and think that the structure of the dresser is awesome (i love the cabinet on the side). paint it! and if you want more advice, i'd vote sky blue, teal (as shown), red, light orange (not pastel, just not bright) or celery green. i don't know what the rest of their room looks like, i'm just judging from what i can see in the picture. throw on some more modern drawer pulls and if you have the energy, paint the inside of the drawers another color--that looks rad.
So Meg told me to look at the beautiful sharpie artistry and asked what I would do. I immediately thought of an apartment therapy post that I was going to send you. Then I scrolled down and saw that you had already seen the post. I think it's a sign.
i like to two tone paint idea with inside drawer being a snazzier version of the exterior color. I think it looks sharp!
I say lose the current handles and put on something more like this,... Only I'd find a wood version of these I've always thought the metal looked tacky,... something that is always available to pull at. kind of like the extravert version of the drawer handles in your pic. For kids I think it's nicer to have something you don't have to lift up before you can grab ahold of it. metal example handles If you don't do something like that or can't find it,.. I'd go with a more modern straight handle to give it a newer feel. straight handle example with a knob on the side door or just give it knobs all around. :)goodluck.
just to be clear...i don't know if I like the first handles I gave example of in metal. I would do wood if I could find it. the straight handles are fine metal, but you might be worried about sharp edges,... the point is to get a more rigid handle you don't have to lift up to grab hold of with plenty of room for the fingers. Knobs are fine too. if it were me I'd probably do all wood versions of the first handle example I gave,.. or I'd do some version of a horizontal rigid handle for the drawers and maybe a knob for the door. or just all knobs. (You can always go for the older look and do a knob on each end of the drawers.,.. more of an older dresser decor I'd say rather than just one knob per drawer)
Whatever you do though, I think updating the hardware (handles) will go along way to complete the make over when you paitn. :) and they're not too expensive to change.
sorry, but the rules of life are that if you make a stink about something then you're not allowed to change your mind after the fact. (at least not publicly on the blog--in private feel free to slap some paint on that baby!)
:)
I also think you should paint the thing. It will give art restoration masters hundreds of years from now a challenge to recreate what this "Coryangelo" masterpiece looked like in its prime. (I like the "Om" symbol the best).
I agree with Jodie (even though we've never met??). You have pictures as a memorial. Paint it! :) Maybe you could even let your boys do hand prints in a different color paint on it. That way it is still creative, artistic, and expressive, but in a more "macho" "boyish" way. You can also preserve their little hands, too? I dunno...I guess that is kind of dorky...but I like it :)
the handprints idea could be fun,.. maybe in the same color you're doing on the insides of the drawers,.. I'd probably do a more controlled approach though,.. let them put their prints and possibly initials once wherever they choose,.. rather then all over the entire thing,... not sure if that's what was meant,..but that's what I imagined when I read the comment haha. so you get one set of prints per boy. it could be cute. :)
No, no, no, don't paint it! It could be worth a lot of money someday, it's awesome how it is.
Post a Comment