Tuesday, November 11, 2008

stuck in my head

When I was a young and innocent college sophomore, I did a study abroad in Vienna, Austria. It was a glorious, mind-boggling, and all-around good experience. But that is not really why I'm bringing it up. No, in fact, the reason I mention it at all is because of my Viennese roommate, Sara. Sara and I had a lot of adventures and good times together whilst living in Frau Alfon's Haus in the twenty-third district of Vienna (which is way out there, by the way), but we also had our trials. One of these trials was that I am an unconscious singer. This is true. I often sing two or three lines of a song over and over for a few minutes or hours or days and then forget that it ever happened. For instance, the theme music from Mario Brothers was stuck in my head for aboooooout.... five years. So, as Sara and I were getting ready in the morning I would unconsciously sing a couple of verses of some song or other that was stuck in my head. Then when I saw Sara later in the day she would be singing the song. This happened probably 75% of the time. Truly. And she didn't like it. At all. And told me so. A lot.

So, I would apologize, and make a futile attempt to not sing. But, those of you out there that are plagued with songs stuck in your head know that there is no permanent cure. The only possible solution is to get a different song stuck in your head, but this is a dangerous procedure that is only successful approximately 58% of the time with a multitude of side effects. And anyway, I wasn't really sorry. I just didn't want to get yelled at (which is not an uncommon reason for saying sorry). In fact, I thought it was pretty funny. I still do. In fact, I'm laughing a little just thinking about it.

The reason I bring any of this up is that I've had a new song stuck in my head since Thursday morning. And, I played it for Zach and have managed to get it stuck in his head (this is especially funny, since one line is "I'm just a little girl caught in the moment." Hilarious to hear Zach singing that). So, I'm going to try and get it stuck in your heads too. Because its a fun song and I want to share the joy and spread the disease around a bit.

And, if I'm really lucky, maybe Sara will find it.

Click HERE to hear the music and see the music video

13 comments:

Theresa said...

haha. .. I knew you would like that song. It always reminds me of you when it plays on the radio,.. haha!

The one Dan and I have stuck in our heads is Ground Control to Major Tom - David Bowie,.. since it plays on that Lincoln towncar? commercial? ? ?

"This is,.. major Tom to ground control,...I'm sitting in the bar,....tell my wife I love her very much,.. she knows!,...for here,....am I sitting in a tin can,... far across the gloom,.. planet earth is blue and there's nothing I can do,...." dum dum dum dum dum,.. dah dum dum,...wheeee,.. bou bou bou bou,... dum da da dum,.deed do dee dee doom. bou bou bou ba bau bou bou,... "This is major tom to ground control,.."

Kim said...

LOL, you are SO funny Katie! I love reading your posts...they always make my day:-)
So when are you going to be in Utah again? If you're that way around Thanksgiving...give me a call!

Theresa said...

me2 me2

Katie said...

Does it really? That's so funny! I haven't heard that song before, but I'll look it up.

Thanks, Kim! I'm always happy to spread around some happiness. :) Sadly/Happily, we will be staying in California for Thanksgiving. My fam is coming and it'll be awesome. Maybe we'll see you over Christmas!

Theresa said...

i'm warning you katie if you listen to it it will at some point get stuck in your head even if you hate it. haha!

I regularly go through phases of hating and liking it myself depending on how long it's been since i've heard it.

Theresa said...

and it is entirely too long,.. but you like it until it starts droning on.

Unknown said...

you are too funny... and thank you for spreading the love.... I love that song!

Stef said...

bum bum bum bum bum da dum bum dum dum dum dum dum dum da dum dum

da da da da da da da da da da
da da da da da da DADADADA

bud a lud dud a lud dud a lud a dud a bum bum bum

--the mario theme song

Katie said...

Ah! No, Stef, No!

Looks like I'm in for another five years...

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Aaaah....gooood tiiiimmeessss..... :) I remember you telling me that while we still were in Austria:) hehe I think we need to do a combined post of our Austria Adventures!

meg said...

coy, coy, katie q--trying to work your mind control on us all. i'm just a little bit--i mean it's bringing me down, i've got to let it go--blurg.
(I'd like to see someone TRY to outcheese that cheese)

seriously for days at a time, i will get the underground mario song stuck in my head. there's actually a campfire dance that goes with it.

meg said...

ok, i really want to thank you. i had that song stuck in my head all day yesterday (alternating with a new randy newman song) and it was exciting to realize that i had a real song stuck in my head instead of the theme song to a pbs kids show. i felt like a normal person! thanks.

Katie said...

Sweet! I'm glad my mind control attempts were successful. With Re-humanizing results. :) Those PBS songs are very sticky. Watch out for them.