Monday, March 10, 2008

The Parent Trap - a new perspective


The other night I somehow got to thinking about The Parent Trap, both the older and newer versions. I've always liked these movies, despite being a lil' silly, they are both fun and have awesome houses (the California houses in both movies are really neato). But as I was thinking about the whole scenario it suddenly dawned on me: these people are awful!



They get married, have twins, and then for reasons never truly addressed in the movies (and all the better for it) they decide they despise each other so, so much that they are willing to give up ever seeing one of their children again, just so so as to never see each other again! Now, in movie world, where we can throw around phrases like "suspending disbelief" and "it's only a movie" I know that we need to be presented with a problem so that we can follow along with the resolution of the problem, but if you just look at the bones of the story, the parents decided to never see one of their children again.

Now, here comes my new perspective: Ben and Sam. I honestly, truly cannot think of any (vaguely plausible) scenario where I would take Ben and leave Sam with Zach, planning on never seeing either of them again. And I imagine that most parents feel the same way. So, who are these people? Really! And how is it that they are so darn likable in these movies? And what would they have done if they only had one? And then they get married all over again in the end!! Ya, these are weird people.

I guess this is what it's like to have the wool pulled away from your eyes. Whatever that means.
Sam & Ben - irreplaceable

9 comments:

Theresa said...

first of all let me just say I agree with you completely. I love those movies and I love ben and Sam and you and zach and I couldn't imagine you choosing between any of them either.

You realize of course that the parent trap is disney propaganda,.. back when it came out, divorce was considered scandalous and so I think disney put out this movie to encourage people to stick together. Who knows though,.. I could be way off the mark,.. isn't it interesting though if it really is propaganda how differently it can be viewed in today's deteriorated society than it was back in those days deteriorated society. :)

Theresa said...

and the california houses are quite stunning. :)

Unknown said...

Good point! I never thought of it that way! But that is strictly weird and crazy. It's amazing how movies can somehow make something so nuts seem completely okay.

Anonymous said...

No wonder Lindsey Lohan is so messed up....what?

Katie said...

Wow, Theresa. You are clearly very passionate about this subject. As well you should be.

And movies do make nuts look normal.

And Ms. Lohan definitely has some issues.

Theresa said...

nah,.. not really I'm just #1 very verbose and #2, already thought about this exact thing a couple years ago and came to similar conclusions.

Anonymous said...

Kati - Since both parent trap movies happen to be two of my favorites also, I know exactly what you are saying. They are fun entertainment, but who could ever do such a thing in reality. I would never have been able to choose amongst my four(with no twins). Do love your picture with your comment a perfect ending to excellent thoughts. love

Anonymous said...

I finally did it right! I am your anonymous - pushed the wrong button, but at list I'm there. Now if we can find out what happened to the other comments - they are out there in computer limbo somewhere??? love Gma

Katie said...

Great job, Gma! You computer techy you!