Friday, March 7, 2008

Emergency Room - Don't Worry!

Sam's bump on the noggin.

The other day, as I was finishing up the previous post, Sam fell off the bed into sliding keyboard tray and punctured his head. There was blood and I freaked out. I made Zach run home and check on him while I looked up signs of concussions and trauma and the need for stitches. The bleeding stopped and Zach calmed down. I didn't.

Then Sam fell asleep. Then I really started to worry. Worry that he had a concussion, worry that he was going into a coma and all kinds of things. I kept pulling his eyes open to check that his eyes weren't dilated or something. Of course, it was his nap time and he was really tired, but still.

The nurse from our doctor's office called back and said that we should probably have him checked out since it was a cut on the head and to go to the emergency room. So we scooped up our sleeping, soon to be awake children and put them in the car. Then calmly drove to the emergency room.

We walked in and were admitted right away. We walked back to our room and passed several rooms where real, slightly disturbing emergencies were going on. I felt a little silly. The nurse came in and looked and said, "oh, ok, it's just little." The doctor came in and said, "oh, that's won't need stitches. We'll just glue that." They both came in and glued Sammy back together. Sam protested like mad. He thought the scar would make him look tough; attract the ladies. Sorry, buddy. Then they gave us an emergency room fast pass for Sam - apparently they figured this would not be the last time they saw us - and we headed home.

Sam is fine. More than fine. He hasn't even picked at his glue. And his Mommy, besides being exhausted by an afternoon of worry, and a missed siesta, feels a little silly. But still, if a Mommy can't worry about her children, then what is the point?

Update 3/10 - The glue came off and all is well. It looks like he probably won't even have a scar. Though it would be a good way for other people to tell them apart. Hmm...

5 comments:

Theresa said...

he needed glue for that? looks more like a rug burn or something,.. :) glad he does not have a concussion after all. Better to be silly than sorry.

Anonymous said...

It is the job of the medical profession to make everyone else feel silly. Did Zach tell you about his ambulance ride when he spashed gas in his eyes? Of when he was hit with a sling shot powered water baloon and his face swelled all up...but we read the funny parts of the Reads Digest to him in the emergency room and everyone ignored us for hours because we were having such a good time? (Moral:better to seem desparate...) Anyway--I'm sure this is the first of many such...Zach's Mom

Anonymous said...

If I thought that would really post I would have checked spelling...Shauna

meg said...

glad he's okay--we've had a couple of those "just in case" visits (not for jane yet, though) and they're kind of a pain, kind of silly, but it's so much better to be sure, especially with little ones.
here's to the afternoon siesta!

Kim said...

I would have been so scared too Katie! I'm just glad everything turned out good. Your boys are getting so BIG! Are they becoming more and more hard to handle the older they get? I'm sure they're just 'angels':-) I miss ya bunches girl! Take care!