Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Project Girlification - Part 1

We have a lot of baby clothes. I would even say that we have a plethora of baby clothes. After the boys were born I was convinced that we were going to have another set of twins and would rue the day we got rid of any of our doubles of baby things. The number of onsies is pretty ridiculous.


But as you can see from this lovely picture of our little one, my preparations were for naught.

So, we haven't bought too many clothes for this baby girl, because we do have so, so many. I separated out the gender neutral things and now I'm trying to girly up some of the other things. We started by dyeing a batch of blue clothes purple.


Before: Blue Clothes


After: Very purple clothes

I wish I hadn't left them in for so long, but my experience with dyeing in the past has always been to leave them in longer for better color. But, sadly, not this time. I still like the deep purple, it's just a little intense.

I did a second batch, and these spent much less time in the dye. I prefer these. Especially the striped purple onsie on the right. It's awesome.



Below is one of the boy's little jumper. The color is neutral enough, but the blue airplane seemed pretty boyish.



So, I covered it up with a red felt heart. I really, really like it, despite my less than stellar ability to sew straight lines.



The boys have requested that we do a pink batch next. I'm also going to make some little skirts to go over onsies. Dressing girls is a lot of fun, by the way.

4 comments:

meg said...

you are so smart--i like both purple batches. it's fun to put kids in deep colors.
also i thought the text on your ultrasounds said "store is progress" (oh, "store in progress," i get it) and that it was some sort of philosophical typo. alas.
and you're right--dressing girls is ridiculously fun. i have fun dressing grey, too, but there's something about baby girl clothes. especially when they're tiny.
hope you're feeling well.

Theresa said...

yay! you could use a teensy bit of color remover on that first batch to see if it helps. I like the second batch better myself. :)

Unknown said...

I love your ideas! I should have done that with Q's clothes for maiya! oh well. I really love the deep purple clothes actually. And the little heart on the jumper was genius! I have such good memories with you dear Katie. So excited for your new addition. :)

brenley said...

so cute! you are soooo resourceful - i LOVE it!!! the felt heart is so darling! great work!