Monday, February 8, 2010

Who needs wisdom anyway?

So, a couple weekends ago I realized that I was in a bit of pain. The source? My left wisdom tooth. I've been trying to get these blasted things out since they first showed up on the x-rays. And not a single dentist wanted to. I was practically begging for them to be taken out while I was 1. very young and 2. on my parent's very good military insurance. Nothing doing. So here I am, not very young and most definitely not on my parent's insurance with a pain that I just can't seem to ignore, despite my best efforts. So, I found a oral surgeon and got the suckers out.

So, they put me under, took them out, and woke me up. I remember getting into the car, stopping by the store for Zach to get me soft foods, and getting into bed. I don't remember leaving the office or driving home or waiting in the car or the part where I quoted Jacob Marley's lines at length inspired by the ice bandage wrapped around my head. Zach says I was doing it word for word and went on for quite a while. Want to hear something interesting? I can't really do it now, I only know a couple of his lines. Apparently I can only remember Dickens when I am under the influence. Weird.

Anyway, it's been several days, and I'm still hurting. I'm pretty sure I have that dry socket thing. Which is annoying. He told me I was a good candidate for them (super) and to watch out, but I think I got them anyway. I'll know for sure at the follow up appointment. In the mean time, I'm just eating lots of yogurt and soup and being generally cranky. Especially when Zach, Ben and Sam are munching on a fresh, hot tub of popcorn. It's just not fair.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

I'm sorry. do you have matching bruises along your jawline on each side? I did my sophomore year of college winter semester since I got mine out over christmas break. It was fun. they were huge bruises too.

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Aw man! Wisdom teeth are bad news. Wishing you luck on your recovery :( I remember I ate a lot of Wendy's frosties when I had mine out...

Vanessa said...

awww sorry Katie, I hope you feel better soon!

Katie said...

Thanks for the sympathy, guys. I appreciate it. I went in today and they put clove oil things in my mouth. The pain is gone, but the taste is horrible. I can't decided which is worse. Probably the pain.

Sarah Q said...

Katie, I'm 31 and I STILL have 3 of 4 wisdom teeth in. Pretty much dreading the day they'll need to come out but so far they cause me no trouble...yet! I hope you feel better soon!