Thursday, November 12, 2009

Garden Update: Holy Peas!

Planting snap peas may have been one of the smartest things I've ever done. They are growing like crazy. They are delicious. Ben will eat them, and Sam is considering it. And they make me look like I know what I'm doing. Which, of course, is completely true.

Morning sunlight through pea pod.

They've actually outgrown the bamboo stakes I was using as supports, but they've gotten quite strong and don't seem to mind. If they get too much taller, though, I'm going to need to support them with something else. I don't know what yet. (Click HERE to see what they looked like before) It's very encouraging to have things actually growing. I wish I had grown more now.

Here is an explanation of what is growing (Click on it to see it bigger).

The Tour

My lettuces have been eaten quite a bit by unidentified creatures. I'm going to try to home style remedies to keep them away. We'll see how it works. And they're kinda bitter. I haven't been overly faithful with my watering. Domage.

Cut-and-come-again lettuces

Now, the real question is, what do you use bok choy/choi for? And is this already too far gone? And why are there so many different spellings for bok choy?

Enormous Bok Choi

3 comments:

gma/ggma said...

Kati - I am so proud of you all! The garden looks fabulous. It looked good when I saw it, but now, WOW! ...and sweet peas, yum, one of my favorites. It all looks so nice, even the greens. They can be iffy sometimes, but still look pretty nice. Not too many things prettier than a good growing, productive garden and I know the men in your life are enjoying it. Call soon, love

Katie said...

Thanks, Gma! They are a lot of fun to grow. I just need to get better about watering all the time.

Elizabeth said...

Bok choy is grand in just about anything, and yours don't look too big to me. I kind of think of it as a spicier spinach. The way I usually prepare it is to just put a little bit of olive oil in a pan, sautee some onions (if you like them) and a liiittle bit of bacon bits (if you have them, which I usually don't) then put all the bok choy on top with a little bit of water and a lid and let it all cook down. Occasionally a dash of soy sauce finds its way to the pan which makes a nice twist. You can really throw it in anything in which you desire an Asian twist; soups, stir frys, etc...

By the way, Happy belated Thanksgiving and Happy December!!