Sunday, November 1, 2009

Tales from all Hallow's Eve!

I haven't gotten into Halloween for many a year. It's just never really been my holiday. I like the candy and the dressing up part, but that's about it. I'm not into scary. Or being scared. Or ugly things. I do like pumpkins and their seeds, but not their guts. I will say this though, Halloween is infinitely more fun with kids who care about it. Ben and Sam really got into Halloween this year. In the days and weeks leading up to it, the boys kept closing all the doors and turning off all the lights upstairs so that they could play Halloween. They would come downstairs and say, "Ma, come and play Halloween with us. Let's go upstairs to Halloween!" There are often spooky voices involved. It's been fun.

Ben and Sam showing off their muscles in a small portion of their costumes

The boys decided quite a while ago that they wanted to be space robots. I made them felt armbands with '"controls on them and jet packs out of plastic water bottles and paper mache. The jet packs were, if I do say so myself, pretty spectacular. I took a series of pictures if anyone is interested. We combined those with their letter shirts (from their super hero costume last year). Total cost = $0. And the boys loved them, which was the whole point.

Ben working on carving his pumpkin

Ben and his Jack-o-Lantern. If I called it a pumpkin after it was carved I got into trouble. "It's a Jack-o-Lantern, Ma!"

I mentioned to the boys that I could dress up as well and they jumped right on that. So, I went as a fairy queen. My neighbor let me borrow the wings and the wand and I used my old prom dress for the... dress. And yes, if I held my breath when Zach zipped me up I could still fit into it. Except I had a bunch of little bruises at the tops of my arms. I think the sleeves were too tight.

Sam, Me, and Ben after leaving a trick-or-treat.

They did pretty well about saying "trick-or-treat" and thank you. If anyone asked what they were they said, "space robots with masks."

Zach went as a bummer.

Sam, Zach and Ben

Ben, Zach and Sam. Too adorable.

It was very much fun. We let the boys stay up with us past their bedtime eating candy. They are doing a very good job sharing. I asked Sam if I could have a piece of candy and he said, "Yes, but just one!" The magic is in the inflection. They're also sharing with each other, which of course does a mother's heart glad. The only problem is that I should have snuck the package of Runts last night, because they wouldn't let me have any of them today. But, despite an almost total lack of banana Runts, a good Halloween was still had by all.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

haha. love it. I don't think halloween is supposed to be about scary. it's about candy and dressing up to have fun. :) and yes it is infinitely better when you have little kids who are in to it.

Scott said...

I wish we lived closer! Awesome family!