I don't know how it is where you live, but here people get a little crazy about pre-school. I remember going to someone's house for dinner when the boys were about one and a half and getting on the discussion of preschool. I hadn't thought much about it at the time. The hostess told me I was a moron and that I should already have them on a waiting list if I really loved them, which I clearly didn't. I'm paraphrasing only slightly. I also found out that night that some people pay almost as much for a month at one of the really good pre-schools in our area as what I paid for a semester in college.
I've been trying not to freak out, I mean, I never went to preschool. And neither did Zach, which is a better comparison, because I'm not really doing a whole lot with my degree right now, except pretending to be cooler than I am.
So, I'm trying to spend the time creating an educational environment, but, I'm not great at this kinda thing without some kind of outside force that I can let down to motivate me. Because I'm the kind of person who spends an hour or so working on a new blog banner, just to post it, chicken out, because I used an image with a watermark on it that I bypassed, and then spend another half hour coming up with another, though less cool one. This is all during the time that I was planning on using to prepare some kind of preschool activity. Luckily, I found one in the process. But what are the chances of that happening every time?
Anyway, here is Attempt #1 at some kind of pre-schooly thing.
We glued some of the fallen leaves onto the tree trunk and I talked to the boys about autumn and seasons a little bit.
Ben and Sam were actually pretty interested for about ten minutes. They really enjoyed using the glue, which they'd never used before. But of course, I only had one, and that caused a few problems. But it actually went pretty well, I'd say.
I hear that the part that really matters with kids at this age is the process, not the completed work. Which is great for us. Because they tore all the leaves off the paper once they were dry. So, no pictures of completed works. Sorry.
Glues sticks and leaves, classic childhood
So, hopefully, somehow my darling children won't be scarred by not being in some kind of pre-school we can't afford or for not having a more put-together type mom. But, if all else fails, at least we'll have these beautiful projects. Oh, wait. Ben tore them up when he was done.
Huh.
12 comments:
ah,.. preschool craziness,... I have lots of strong offensive opinions about putting your kids into preschool. Having said that we went to joy school a couple times when I was little ... totally different from pre-school. However, my mom was never one to pre-school either and I have a lot of strong deeply rooted in my religious beliefs opinions about that which I'm sure I'm going to fall short of every single one of them so I won't state any of them.
I think your activity looks fun! and great job on finding something to do. If you ever want more ideas for things to do with the boys you might try this site for ideas on learning letters etc. I've seen a lot of really good stuff on here. Although It's been a while since I've noticed a post on that site,.. But I'm used to getting regular posts on it with great ideas.
I do think that the main point if you do pre-schooling for your kids whether on your own or at an institution is to prepare them to be receptive to learning, take instructions and follow them, and to just get ready to listen to a teacher in general. Also,..giving them a head start on the alphabet and numbers perhaps.
At the same time,.. Not every kid is going to be ready to do any of that at the same time so you want to kind of work up to it. Your boys are still pretty young and their attention spans are evidently quite short so you'll want to make sure activities are quick and fun,.. so they get the point without you losing them too quickly. they'll get the hang of it especially if you make the activities gradually more complex or more fun and make them consistent. Eventually they'll get in the habit of sitting down for their craft and their attention spans will hopefully gradually lengthen. goodluck!
Don't you just love getting advice from someone who has no kids of her own to speak of yet! I'm going to be the worst mom ever! I just know it. I'm not ready to practice what I preach yet.
I think she recently chagned her site to wordpress which might be why I'm not getting the rss feed right. here's the link to the site actually rather than just that one post. No Time for Flashcards
Holy comment, Theresa! I will take a look at the site. Thanks.
I went to preschool...
guess I had a lot of nothing to say lol! :) I certainly don't have problems with pre-school. I made it sound worse than I really think of it. And I definitely am not judging anyone one way or the other. I think each family has to find the best solution that works for them and for their kids individually. You never know what someone's circumstances are and or child's needs. unless it's you making the choice. :)
Urrr.... umm. Zach went to three years of preschool actually. There was one offered as part of a community college thing. I had to pay tuition for myself... it was a sort of parenting class. I got some early childhood education credits. I hadn't graduated from college yet, but you might see what the community colleges have to offer.
Oh anonymous is Shauna
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've heard of parents getting together in the neighborhood and switching off days, though. Like, one mom does Science on Mondays, another does Reading on Tuesdays, or something like that. Just an idea, maybe there are other moms in the neighborhood in your same predicament! :) Just a thought ;)
I like the leaf pictures ;)
Your boys will love their mommy preschool! Anyone who pays that much for preschool is crazy. I send Asher to preschool and it seems like there are always people telling me that they don't believe in preschool and I am obviously horrible because I am out-sourcing one of my most precious parenting duties. You just can't win.
I probably should delete my comment. lol. I hope nobody feels like I meant to judge at all. Just the opposite I firmly believe each family and their circumstances are different and not one solution is the answer for everyone. One of my pet peeves are people who make others feel like they are "horrible for out-sourcing their kids education" or whatever it was they had a strong opinion about. That's part of the reason I think I responded to your post is because of your "hostess" making you feel inferior for not having the boys signed up for preschool. I just want to say I'm an advocate of making the best informed choices for you and your family and if a person's choices end up being different from mine I am not the sort of person to think less of someone for that. I feel like I came across that way and I sure didn't mean to. sorry. Since this is the second time I've apologized for myself haha. No worries I promise not to comment again. :) lol.
We've encountered the same from our friends who actually live in Seattle proper. Out in the boonies where we live (10 miles south) we haven't faced the type of judgment. Meg and I didn't go to preschool, and we're not complete idiots.
I want my kids to learn to be creative at this age. There will be plenty of time for structured learning later.
Kids might get bored and restless at home all day, but I actually think that boredom breeds creativity.
Thanks for the input, all!
Post a Comment