Thursday, May 7, 2009

Little Boys and Slugs

We haven a couple big logs in our back yard. I nipped them when they were cutting down some trees near our house. The boys have figured out that that is where the bugs like to hide. Yesterday they asked me to tip them over to see some "beedles." We did get to see five beetles, but it's a pretty fast insect and was pretty quick to find a new hiding place. What kept us by the overturned log, was the slug.

Sam and Ben takin' it easy lookin' at a slug.

Now, for the record, I loathe slugs. This is mostly due to an unfortunately unshod foot and a squished and slimy slug event at a very tender age. And because they are totally gross. But I'm able to overcome this for the sake of my little boys and remain fairly composed while looking at them. Except for the occasional shiver from the heebly-geeblies.

Anyway, moving on from my weirdness, we talked about slugs for a good fifteen minutes. How they need slime to move, how they don't have any feet, how they leave shiny trails of dried slime behind them, how they need to stay the bloody heck away from my plants or so help me, and how Mommy was not now or ever going to pick it up.

Sorry, slugs blend.

Ben contemplates slug

This morning the boys found another slug trail. And they knew what it was! Sam said, "Look, Ben! A slug trail!" And Ben said, "Oh! A slug trail!" Then they followed it around for a while and rode Lightning McQueen and Chick Hicks over the trail until it was gone.

I was pretty impressed. I guess they are learning after all. It's all pretty exciting. Except for the slug part.

Ben's picture of the Slug Trail across the Log

2 comments:

Theresa said...

awesome possum! oh the wonder of being young and unlearned. I love that they were fascinated. and you are brave katie,.. I don't know if I'd want to turn over the stump to begin with.

meg said...

Katie, the boys are adorable, as always. does it ever get old that I say that? How exciting to see them remembering stuff you've talked about. I think watching kids learn is my second favorite part of being a parent.
Jane is in love with her magnifying glass--she loves looking at everything, especially ants. Of course butterflies are her favorite insect.