Friday, March 13, 2009

how does my garden grow?

With lots of toddler interference. That's how.

I purchased two spray bottles to water the seeds that we planted (spray bottles are better for seeds because the fine spray doesn't jostle the seeds the way a strong stream of water from a watering can does. Just FYI). I only really needed one, but luckily, in a brief moment of complete lucidity, I bought two.

Because the boys LOVE them. Utterly and completely. The first day they spent over an hour outside playing with them. It started with helping me water the seeds. Then moved onto the well established plants (more on them later) and ended up with spraying each other, until their shirts were almost soaked. Then they came in, asked for their jackets, and went back outside to spray their jackets.

Sam (in black) and Ben (in gray) watering the plants.

While these shenanigans were going on outside I chatted with my Mom on the phone for a while and asked what the weather was like there. It was forty degrees and she said that was something of a warm spell. And there was snow and ice everywhere. Our weather was sunny and bright and in the sixties. That is why our rent is so much, people.


And because of this. I planted these at the end of January. And Voila! Tulips! Well, tulip leaves anyway. It'll be a few more weeks till we have flowers. And when you see them and you're completely jealous, just remember: that's why our rent is so high.

Seed starting
(these come inside at night, but I was giving them some sun today)


I got a bit of a late start with my seeds. I should have started them inside a month ago, but I just got them planted a couple weeks ago. I've never (successfully) started plants from seeds before. It'll be interesting to see how it goes. Also, which device starts better seeds: egg cartons or toilet paper tubes. I'm putting my money on the tubes. I already have a couple little thyme sprouts. Yay!

We also started radish, carrot and lettuce seeds outside. The radishes are already sending up sprouts. Hurray!

Radish Sprouts
(when I thin these, I'm going to put them in a salad. They are yummy. Just another FYI for you)


Ben watering tulip plants

Of course, when you allow rambunctious toddlers into your garden things are bound to go awry. Especially when you turn your back on them to make a delicious dinner to feed your starving family. The following is such an example:

These used to be robust lemon thyme and parsley plants, bursting with life and culinary possibility.

The boys ripped off most of the parsley's leaves, pulled up half of my green garlic, and my rosemary cutting. They striped half of the lemon thyme. Sadness. Despair.

I guess I need to get some new plants. There's really nothing else to be done about it.

Oh, and here's a little movie of the boy's playing with their water bottles. My favorite part is when Sam starts drinking it and looks at me to see if I'm going to stop him. Classic Sam.

4 comments:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Oh awesome!! I cant' wait to have a little garden of my own! I wanted to grow some herbs in some little cups here, but I guess it is too hot :( Sad....

Your boys are so stinkin' cute :)

Theresa said...

haha. busy boys need thirsty little water bottles so they can keep being busy! they are so cute and so big! and I'm an super impressed with your planting abilities. You will need to teach me.

meg said...

what timing you have--i've been feeling more and more encouraged to try growing a plant this year. i'm trying to see what our direct sunlight is like to determine what i do.
the boys are cute, it would be hard to get mad at them. sorry about your parsley and such though.

Anonymous said...

Love to see you 'gardening' - it's that spring feeling, especially Our snow is even starting to leave the mountains and spring is in the air (I hope). Love the video, it gives us a lift at work. My volunteer loves to read your comments as well as the pics. Wish I could be hugging those two right now. Hope your birthday was terrific. Keep up the good work - publish! publish! publish!!!