Wednesday, June 4, 2008

take me out to the ball game....

But bring your own peanuts and cracker-jacks, 'cause they are pricey up there.

Our View

Last Saturday we went into San Fransisco to see the Giants/Padres game with Zach's department. It was a fun time. We rode the train up, which the boys thought was the best thing ever. It was a little slow getting there, because there were so many people getting on to go to the game, but it was great for the price. We were sitting in front of a guy who was, according to him, both hungover and slightly drunk. I wasn't aware that this was possible, but now I know. He drank three beers on the ride up. But, he was a friendly drunk, and that's always nice.

Ben playing with peanut shells. He would try and eat one later and almost choke. It was scary.

The boys were pretty well behaved, especially when we broke out our arsenal of snacks. We had peanuts, pretzels, Gatorade, and lots more. They even paid some attention to the game, though not much. We kept saying, "look, they're throwing a ball. Oh! Look, he caught the ball!" But I'm not sure they could even see it. And besides, it wasn't a terribly eventful game. Both teams kept getting out and there were only four runs. Oh, well. It was still fun. It seems to me that a big part of the baseball game experience is the atmosphere of the ballpark. Of course, I think this was my first ever major-league baseball game, so I could be wrong. At least, it's the first one I remember.

AT&T Park
Doesn't have much of a ring, does it?


Katie & Sam (And Zach studying the game). I love Sam's expression here.

Zach, on the other hand, has been to many a baseball game. He knows enough to know that it's okay to throw your peanut shells on the ground, though I'm not sure how comfortable I will ever be with that. It just looks like such a mess. But he also knows all these little baseball traditions and signs and such that I had no idea even existed. He says that we should get a baseball package next year so he can educate me about the American pastime. I say, that I've had tons of experience with little and minor league baseball. Just because I was trying to get my Mom to buy me Fun Dips the whole time or wandering to empty fields to play in the dirt, doesn't mean I don't have experience with baseball.

All of us, freezing.

Anyway, it was fun. Despite the fact that is was freezing and we were, yet again, completely unprepared for that.

And in other news, we leave for Spain in 4 days. Four days! It's absolutely crazy. We fly out Monday and arrive Tuesday. We actually have most things ready, but there are a ton of loose ends to tie up, so we're not out of the woods yet. And we have that lovely fifteen hour flight to look forward to. So cross your fingers and pray for us.

7 comments:

Theresa said...

wow,.. how exciting,.. I can't believe you're leaving for spain already! are you going to blog while you're over there? you better or I will miss you,..!!

Katie said...

Of course! But I don't know what our internet situation will be, so I don't know how often. We'll see. Really, really soon!

Unknown said...

4 days! I guess more like 3 days now! oh my! So excited for you! The game looked fun. I love the boys' backpacks.

Anonymous said...

Must comment on the ball game - having been raised on the infamous "subway series'" I can vouch for the fact being there is better than half the fun. I attened many games growing up and the hot dogs taste the best and the peanuts (yes you do throw the shells at each other or on the floor) and popcorn andmusic (?) too made it a great time. I still love watching the games though it's on TV now and it definitely is not the ssame. Glad you are introducing the boys to it at an early age - it's still my favorite soectator sport. Just love the pics, as always. Love, etc. gma/ggma

Anonymous said...

I will increase prayer time for you, but I know all will be well - it will be a fun flight and the boys will entertain one and all. I am excited for you all, just wish I could be part of it - either this next week or the following week when the 'troops' arrive. I am living it vicariously so fill that blog please...lots of Xs & Os,love and prayers always Gma/GGma

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

You're going to SPAIN?!!? I didn't know that!! For what?! How long?! I'm SO JEALOUS!!!! :) Your next trip should be to the bright and sunny Caribbean...you guys can stay with us :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see Zach is keeping up the baseball tradition! But you have chosen the wrong team! Don't forget the D'backs--Zach! How long until you start making them fill out the scoresheet like your dad makes his kids? Baseball is serious business!

Have a good flight! You still didn't get me a mailing address!

Love, Shauna...Mom...Grandma