Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Story of Hair

*Warning* - this is all about hair and hair related topics, there are no cute pictures of little boys, only an okay picture of me. Consider yourself warned.

This is the new cut. I like it. (It took 13 pictures to get one where I didn't have my eyes partially closed or wasn't blurry because I was laughing. Zach said I was doing it on purpose, but I wasn't. Subconscious defense mechanism? I'll let you be the judge. Mostly because I don't want to be)


I got my hair cut last week. It's a good cut. It was a birthday present from my Mom & Dad (Thanks, guys!) but I had just got my hair cut when they gave it to me, so I waited until now. It was at a swanky-type salon where half the salon is all rustic, like it was a 19th century brewery the day before, and the other half looks like a Tibetan monastery where the monks really, really like lemon slices in their water. Ya, know, the kind of salon where you feel like you should dress up to go there. I know I did, and I still looked kinda shabby.

Anyway, enough description. The cut is lovely, and the lady did a nice job, especially considering the list of demands that I gave her. I'm not really sure what the hair dryer/curling iron status is going to be over the summer, and I don't really want to buy one, because even if I do, I'll probably only actually "do" my hair a couple of days a week. I'm a hair minimalist. Or, at least I am right now. So, she cut it and put some magic, fancy hair cream in it, that I intended on buying, but it was $23, and I would rather put that money toward something cool and Spanish. But I'm totally for receiving gifts, so if anyone is in the giving mood, please feel free. Please. So, with the magic hair cream and a diffuser my hair curled up like crazy and looked fabulous. I, of course, do not have the gift of the stylist, so I didn't manage to get that curl when I did it myself the next day, and today, when I took the picture, I actually flattened it a bit, but I still like the look.

Anyway, that's enough of that. The reason I am bringing this up at all is because when I went to pay they asked if I wanted to give a gratuity. I loathe this question, because I really, genuinely do not want to give a gratuity. I just paid for the cut. Right? But I have no idea how this whole stylist/hair salon relationship works and who gets what, and I thought it was a good cut and I am a bit of a pushover, if the truth is told, so I left her three dollars. But, when I got out of the salon, walking the I-just-got-a-new-hair-cut-and-totally-love-it walk, that involves a whole lot of head tossing and lingering in front of shop window's reflections, and running fingers through hair, I noticed that she had mischarged me for the gratuity! Oh no! Instead of $3 she had put in $10. And I'm really not that generous. At all. I gave them a call, because I was already in the car and at a different locale and gas is expensive around here. They figured it out right away and canceled that ticket and got my card number to recharge me and I happily continued home to play with my hair for three hours.

A few days later, I realized that I had left my phone out in the car. When I finally got around to going out and getting it, there were 12 missed calls! "What?" thought I. They were all from this poor woman at the salon, who wrote the card number down wrong, and it wouldn't go through. So, they didn't have the money, because they had canceled that ticket, and they didn't have the right card number, and all they had was a cell, that no one was answering. What would you think? She was clearly panicking, thinking I was some crook or something. She sounded pretty desperate in the fifth message.

And I was soooooooooo tempted. I cannot tell you. Get thee behind me awesome (possibly free) haircut.

Luckily/Unfortunately, I do have something of a conscience. I called her back and straightened the whole thing out and all was well. And I still have a good hair cut out of the whole thing too. I mean, I like it.

But if I ever turn to a life of crime, the salons of the world better watch out.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

yikes,.. fun stuff,... I have never quite understood the need to tip 15% over the price of the haircut. If they are not quite charging enough for haircuts these days, they should raise the price, not expect people to tip them. My aunt is a stylist so I know that it's expected to tip. The nice thing is,..if you really hated them you could not tip if you wanted to. But oh the pressure they put on you. I went to a salon and asked my stylist whether it was customary to tip and she said,.. I can't really answer that. Then I had to ask it this way,.. do most people who come in here leave a tip? ,.. then she said that some do. She was soooo informative,.. So then I'm feeling obligated and awkward because the same lady that cut my hair is going to sit there and know exactly what I tip her because she's also taking the money,... isn't that wierd? or do most people like to know while you're still standing right there exactly what you tip them? ,... I HATE the whole concept of tips. just for the record.

Theresa said...

if you want more money,... charge me for it. expecting to get most of your money from tips is a device of the greedy who are counting on those people who are overly generous to compensate for those who just want to be charged the fair amount.

Theresa said...

oh. side note. i love your hair. it's cute.

Katie said...

I concur. And thanks! I like it.