
So, after spending several weeks looking for an apartment in Girona, we finally found something. But not in Girona. It seems that it is much harder to find a place that will take a short term renter in Girona than Barcelona. And it was turning out to be kind of expensive. But thanks to luck and divine intervention we found a place that we will be able to get for a fabulous price, that will end up saving us a lot of money. One of Zach's professors is visiting from Girona, and he was able to find an apartment for us in Patjo d'Aro, (The Golden Beach, I think), which is a little under an hour away from Girona and right on the Costa Brava.
This is both fabulous and kinda bad news. We will be saving money, but we really have no idea what the apartment is like or how little boy friendly it is, and Patjo d'Aro is much more of a tourist area than the city of Girona. And now for the two edged sword: the Beach.

Apparently this apartment is minutes away from the beach. I love the ocean. I absolutely love it. Every time I'm at the beach I wonder why I ever leave it. I love the rushing water and the sand and the shells and the stones and the fish and the crabs and the sky and the seagulls and beach combing and basically everything about the ocean. Oh, except one thing,
swimsuits. Well and sharks, but lets focus on swimsuits for now. I hate to be a stereotype, but I have never been very comfortable in swimsuits, and I since the boys I have only come across one situation in which a swimsuit is required, and that was up in the wilds of Maine and only my family was there. But this is altogether different.
If we were only going to be traveling to the coast a couple of times than I probably wouldn't even think about it. We probably wouldn't even get a chance to swim. But, we're only minutes from the beach and I honestly don't think, even with my complete dislike of the idea of myself and swim wear that I will be able to resist going swimming as often as possible. I love the ocean that much, people. Unless there are rumors of sharks in the waters. That would keep me out.
So, I need a new swimsuit. Because the old one requires safety pins to make it decent. So, I'm giving you some options here from the affordable to the absolutely not affordable. Let me know what you think.

Old Navy

Lands End -
yes it has a bottom

L.L.Bean
P.S. Why are swimsuits so expensive? Is it because people think that the more they pay for it the better they will look in it? I know I do.
P.P.S. I'm not limiting myself to these options, so if you come across another swimsuit that you think will make me look absolutely fabulous, then let me know, by all means.
27 comments:
Of those three choices, I like the red one the best (as far as style goes).
I'm having bathing suit dilemmas as well--except it has to do with finding one that doesn't make a pregnant lady look like a beached whale...though I don't know if that's possible.
Good luck! And congrats on the place!
Yes, I like that one the most, too. But it is also the most expensive one. Isn't that always the way?
oh,.. i absolutely love it love it love it! I think you should go with the red or green,.. old navy or lands end. and,.. if you think any of them go too low,.. just sew a little "tank top" insert into it like my sister does,... just use swimsuit safe thread. At any rate....I really like that red one too.
I like the Land's end and old navy. Shade sells really cute swimming suits. They also sell inserts to make plunging necklines not so plunging. I hate swim suits too. I ALWAYS wear shorts. Are you sure it's not one of those European nudie beaches? Then you won't have to spend all that money on a suit. J/K
Nudie beach? There's no such thing in Spain. Of course, it's not required to wear swim wear on any beach. ;)
The best swimsuits are Modbe. Check them out online. They are two pieces that you can mix and match. They are super modest and make even the flabbiest belly (mine!!) look awesome. They are supernice, high-quality material too. I broke the bank and bought two tops and two bottoms which I love.
Hmm... Nude beaches, huh? That would save some money. Maybe these Europeans are onto something.
Actually, I just found Modbe the other day and I was going to call and ask you about it, Steph. What does everyone think of this one?
https://charmain.mymodbe.com/images/
2430/Products/SEA-FOAM-605L.JPG
Zach says it looks more like lingerie than a swimsuit. I think it is cute. What think ye?
It looks cute. I think I still like the lands end one better. Or, I like This one or This one or This one better. And tell zach that any swimsuit you get is going to look kind of like lingerie,.. my sister also likes shade swimsuits. I looked at some of theirs and like This one
u might find something you like on here too. http://www.diviinemodestee.com/
The Land's End one is extremely cute. I think we can all agree on that. But it is also $85-$100, depending on which bottom I picked to go with it. And I think that may just be too much to pay for a swimsuit. Especially when the Old Navy suit is $20. But I do like the Modbe suits. The red one is cute as well. I'm afraid I'm in a muddle.
https://charmain.mymodbe.com/web/t/Modbe2/
Content.aspx?PageID=6661&ItemID=1218
yeah,... all of these ones are expensive. I would probably go to the store myself where they have swim team swimsuits (most sturdy) try some one and pick one,.. Modify it so it was modest and be on my way as far as cheapness goes. But I definitely hate shopping for suits.
So because I'm pretty pear shaped and have love handles like crazy right now (I swear I carry babies in my hips, not just my belly ... geez!) I'm kind of a fan of one piece suits. They don't create unnecessary bulges. I like the Old Navy one. I'm actually going through a similar dilemma because we have a pool at our new apartment complex and I don't have a maternity suit. So I'm going to buy a $20 black Old Navy one because I figure no matter what I buy they're all going to look pretty ... et hem ... "lumpy". But of course you're not pregnant and you don't have a butt the size of Texas so you don't have to worry as much as me. I just think that if you're a little self-conscious it might be smart to go with a simple shape that doesn't draw attention to parts you are more nervous about than others ... In my case, my whole body;) But seriously, you would be cute in anything anyway:) Love you Katie!
Yeah,.. I agree with Lillian, buy a simple suit that's "ok", get some really cute board shorts or boyshort tankini bottom to go over your butt if you don't like the straight swimsuit look on you or a wrap around skirt and viola,.. a swimsuit that looks ok,...didn't cost much,...and you still don't have to love because it didn't cost a fortune and nobody pays much attention to anybody else in a swimsuit anyway and they boys are certainly not going to criticize. :)
The good news is that you don't have to hear what all of the spain patrons have to say about your swimsuit because it will all be in spanish, so you will just have to interpret for yourself all the nice compliments they are giving you on it. :)
I love that I can read about nude beaches on your blog. Good times.
I'm afraid nude beaches are just something you can't avoid discussing, really.
Wow. What a fan-friggin'-tastic number of responses. Of course, the really funny thing is that I am no longer even considering these swimsuit options. I've narrowed it down to five other suits. Sorry.
And on a side note, every single time I began to type, I would always type "bathing suit" and then go back and erase it and type in "swimsuit" because I have been made fun of for saying the former term. Am I the only one who says this? Probably. Maybe it's too many Jane Austen books. She has caused so many problems for me.
yes of course Jane austin would always say bathing suits in her books since they wore so many at the time.
I wouldn't have made fun. :) I don't think the term is dead. It's still in use around me and my friends so there would be nothing to make fun of.
Haha--I'm a "bathing suit" sayer as well.
Gosh--there have been so many awesome suggestions...I wish some of those were maternity suits. :)
I really like the swim skirts to cover the "butt the size of Texas" (as lillian so kindly termed it).
Can't wait to hear what you finally decide on!
I am so glad to know I'm not alone. Power to the Bathing Suit!
And for you pregos out there, you should try a suit with a lot of shirring, like this one:
http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_single.aspx?style_id=32217141&index=2&gp_coll_id=5007&gp_cat_id=5008&nav_cat_id=6176&category_id=6177
(Theresa, how do I make this into a link?)
Then, you could wear it pregnant and still use it when you were not pregnant, even though I know it feels like you will never not be pregnant again. You will, I promise.
That's not the whole link. This is:
http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_
single.aspx?style_id=32217141&index=
2&gp_coll_id=5007&gp_cat_id=5008&nav
_cat_id=6176&category_id=6177
But you'll have to copy and paste in sections. Sorry.
tutorial on how to make a link,.... you have to encapsulate your link in a tag,.. i will explain.
replace the [] brackets in the following example with corresponding open and close tags found on your keyboard on the "," and "." keys:
[a href="insert link url here"]insert link text here[/a]
This link would look like this if I replaced the [] as explained above:
insert link text here
you can put one of these [a] tags anywhere in your text and continue writing the rest of your post directly afterwards.
your link text does not have to be your url. It can be as simple as "click me"
but your link url does have to be a fully formed url address like "http://my.url.link/index.html"
I recommend copy/paste/replace otherwise you might miss a space or an = sign or something,... and plus then you don't have to remember the formula everytime.
or to save everyone time,.. here's the link katie was trying to do anyway.
Katie's Link
I Like it. ... this would be one of those suits I'd want to sew on a modesty insert at the bust. ...call me a prude if you like. :) I'm just not sure I'm comfortable with all that cleavage showing. Other than that it looks awesome,.. oh,. does it come in any colors other than white?
Theresa, you're a prude. And you are so completely awesome! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm gonna have to try it out.
Yes, that bathing suit comes in red. That site has several that look similar to this style for around $50. Good times.
nice,.. i like the red.
Post a Comment