So, I've been using the same basic principle with the boys and cleaning up their room. Usually I say, "go clean up their room" and they wander up there and start playing and then ask me to come help and keep playing and I start getting upset and telling them I am not their maid and so forth and so on. It's a pretty slippery slope. So, a couple of weeks ago I wrote them a list with pictures of what they were supposed to do. I gave them the list with a set of boxes for them to check off and a set for me to check off. It looked something like this:
Except I think the first one was in Crayola marker. Anyway, they did it. They went down the list and checked everything off. It was amazing. Then I came in and checked off the list, noting a stray sock or book they missed that was taken care of before I checked it of.
We've done this several times since then, and it has always resulted in a clean room. Sometimes they play for a while first. Sometimes they get right to it, but it gets done. And I don't scream. They've taken to drawing a reward for their work that they would like (usually Wii time) and I'm fine with that. I'm keeping the lists pretty simple for now, but I think I'll slowly start adding things like vacuuming or dusting. Anyway, I just thought I would share this small victory. Because it is exciting for me.
Oh and here is a picture Sam took of me and Charlotte. I really need to sit up straight.
1 comment:
I love so many things about this. I finally read 'Nurture Shock' and love the way you've incorporated self-evaluation into daily life (and that your boys are at a school that does the same). Thanks for the inspiration!
Post a Comment