Sunday, June 14, 2009

Birthday Party!

I decided to have a birthday party for the boys before we leave for the summer so that they could have a rockin' time with their friends before we left for several months. We're headed out this week.

This was a terrible idea.

The party was went wonderfully and the boys and their bestest friends Kimball and Kirtland had a awesome time. But, allow me to be the voice of reason for a moment and say that throwing a party five days before you leave your home for several months at a time is a bad idea. Especially if you think it would be really sweet if you made everyone capes and masks to go along with the super hero theme that the boys wanted. Don't do this. You'll just be up crazy late for several days in a row sewing and rueing.

But, now that it's over, I'm glad we did it.

Some party decorations

As I mentioned we went with a super hero theme. Sadly, it looks like the boys have inherited my terrible timing. Even though we invited several of their friends only two were able to come. Luckily those two were Kirtland and Kimball. Who rock.

Some Balloon Play

I had several games planned out, but the boys were more interested in playing with the balloons. Which was cool with me.

After the balloon time, we ran through the super hero obstacle course.

Wicked-awesome obstacle course

Unidentified Super Hero (Probably Super Sam) running through the Screaming Streamer Cave!

Despite the fact that they pretty much ignored the starting and ending spots, it was a complete success.

Super Ben on the Leaping Logs

Super Sam coming out of the Star Portal

Super Sam and Captain Kirtland take a moment for their adoring fans.

We also battled Kryptonite bubbles and fought the terrible forces of the streamer attacks and in the end the day was saved. So we sat down for some lunch.

Ben, Kimball, Sam, and Kirtland waving hello between pizza slices.

I started a tradition I hope to have the energy to keep up from now on this year and that is making each of the boys their own cakes. It seem unjust that they shouldn't get their very own birthday cake just because they happen to be twins.

And they were so, so, so, SO excited about these cakes. I made them the day before and they stood up chairs staring at them for hours. Just loving them.

Ben's Birthday Cake

Sam's Birthday Cake

And then, of course, we moved onto presents. The boys had been caring several presents around with them during the festivities, so they were more than ready to get to this point.

Opening Transformer's T-shirts!

Batman birthday Cards!

Star Wars Mini Action Figures!

So, in the end it was a huge success. Everyone had a great time, I think. The boys think birthdays are the best thing ever and have been playing with all their new presents non-stop. Thanks everyone!

And after it was all over, I fell asleep on the floor in a pile of tissue paper with a package of wipes for a pillow. Until Zach moved me to the couch. The life of a party girl is so glamorous.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wowzers!!! Ambitious, and Amazing. I love the super hero theme and their individual cakes. Do I know where you are going and just do not remember?

Theresa said...

of course you do meg,.. they're going on vacation for the summer to visit family.

Katie you are super mom,.. and I like the get your own cake tradition I think it's only fair. they looked fabulous!

meg said...

Katie, I've missed your posting--you always make me laugh. Glad it went well and thanks for the inspiration--i pretty much have to do the super hero obstacle course for Grey. Someday.

brenley said...

what fun! i asked jorgen if he wanted to see pictures of ben and sam (before i clicked on your blog link) and he saw all the pictures of the party and asked, "where i went, mom, where i went?" meaning, where was i? poor kid! he missed an amazing superhero birthday party because we shipped him off to malaysia with us! i'm glad the boys had fun! you're a great party thrower! :)

Todd and Betty Mack Family said...

Your are AWESOME Katye!!!!

We miss you guys a lot,
love,
Betty, Todd, Kimball and Anahi Mack