There have been some questions posed about our trip here. I intend to answer them to the best of my ability. Some of these questions have actually been asked and some I added because I feel they need to be asked. You will probably be able to tell the difference. So here goes.
Q: What are you doing in Spain, anyway?
A: Zach is studying Catalan, which is the language they speak here in Catalonia.
Q: I’ve never heard of Catalan before. Why is he studying it?
A: Because he is a working on studying all of the literature of the Iberian Peninsula. At some point he will probably speak Portugese, Basque, and Gallego. Well, maybe on Gallego. Also, there are 8 million Catalan speakers. But don’t worry, I had never heard of it before I met Zach, either.
Q: So, does everyone there speak Catalan?
A: Most everyone. A whole lot of the signs are in Catalan and most of the locals speak it, but they also speak Castilian/Spanish.
Q: Do you understand any of it?
A: No.
Q: Oh. Does that make it hard to learn Spanish with all the signs and everything in Catalan and everyone either speaking Catalan or a mix of Catalan and Spanish and you never knowing which they are speaking?
A: Yes.
Q: So how is your Spanish coming along?
A: Not great. I am a very lazy language learner, more content to smile and nod and say, “Si!” over and over than to sit down and learn lessons. I have acquired a series of words that I’ll string together for various scenarios in an idiotic fashion, but I’m pretty much lost most of the time. I’m trying to work on it, but my time seems to be taken up by things like making sure that the boys don’t jump off the balcony and checking to see if they have that awesome dress in my size.
An interesting note about Spain and Spaniards: in many foreign countries I have been to, the native population will quickly asses that I am not even remotely a native, and thus start speaking to me in whatever language they think I speak (it is usually English, but I have also had French and Italian spoken to me, go figure). But in Spain, even though I look about as Spanish as a Happy Meal, people will almost always come up and speak to me in Spanish. And not just one or two words but multiple, fast sentences. And I smile and nod. I think it has something to do with the boys, because usually that is what they are talking about. But even after I say something like, “mi espanol es no bueno,” which by itself should signal something, they will just repeat what they said before or say, “Oh, she doesn’t speak Spanish” and then keep talking to me in Spanish. It is both hilarious and slightly terrifying.
Q: Is it hot there?
A: Yes, very hot. And humid. I’ve never experienced anything like this sun. It is just so powerful. I’m sure there is some scientific explanation for why that is, but all I know is that it is hot. For example, when the sun is out, it can dry a pair of wet jeans in about an hour. Bone dry.
Q: Are you getting a tan?
A: Those of us with a strong Irish/Scottish/English heritage do not tan well. We freckle. It’s disgraceful, really. So, I am getting a little darker on my arms, and it looks okay from a distance, but up close, where I always am, it is just a bunch of tiny freckles that have connected together.
Q: Isn’t there a painting like that?
A: Yes, there is. I think it’s called Sunday Afternoon in the Park by and I don’t know who it’s by. And if Ferris Buller’s Day Off has taught me anything, it’s that this painting is located in an art gallery in Chicago. That movie also taught me that you cannot take off miles of a cars odometer by driving it in reverse and that if you are cool enough, you can interrupt a parade program with awesome results. Movies are wonderful.
Q: Okaaaaaaay…… On a different note, do the Spanish really take siestas?
A: Most definitely! Around 1pm to 4pm almost all the stores and businesses close for mediodia (mid-day). Then everyone goes out and gets a big lunch for a couple of hours (the restaurants close later to accommodate this) and then goes home and rests. Then everything opens back up and stays open till late in the evening. So, you rest and relax during the hottest part of the day, and then go back out again when it’s cooler.
Q: How do you like that?
A: It’s pretty neat in one way. We get to relax at home, when the boys let us. And you can get some really good meals and prices in restaurants at lunch time, because that is when the Spanish eat their big meal of the day. And I truly enjoy a good siesta. But, it can be really frustrating when I need to get something done in the four hour time span, and nothing is open! Especially the library, because that’s where the free internet is. I am used to being able to buy a television, a gallon of milk, or a package of diapers at any hour of the day or night if I am so inclined. So, this is the American coming out in me again.
Q: What is your internet situation?
A: Not great. We don’t have any internet in the house. We go down to the public library where we can connect to their free internet, but there are no outlets available, so we can only stay down there as long as the battery lasts. We usually write all our emails in advance and then just send/receive them all through the Outlook email program. Then we look up all the sites that we want to see, leave them up, and then read them when we get home.
Q: Wow.
A: Ya, it has been hard. I feel kinda like a heroin addict going through withdrawal (Not that I have any experience with that at all. No really). I’m used to being in constant contact with everyone. And being able to have masses and masses of information available on demand. So, it is difficult. For instance, I just read the book Twilight a couple of weeks ago (twice actually, how awful is that?) Now I want to find out all about the series and this movie they are putting out (Dec 12th – I hope they don’t ruin it, that would be a shame) and I want to find out more, but I am hindered by this internet situation. It’s frustrating. But I think I’ll manage. Hopefully.
Q: Is that why you have been slacking on posting new blog entries?
A: Yes it is, and I’m really sorry. I’ll try to do better.
Q: Okay, one more question. What is the hardest thing about being away from American and what is the easiest?
A: Although that is technically two questions, I will still answer. The hardest thing, besides the internet, is the language barrier. There is this idea that everyone outside of America speaks English and an English speaker can go anywhere in the world and be able to speak English, and that’s really not the case. Although many people speak varying levels of English. But, it’s not really the same. And, I think most of us take for granted how easily we can communicate in our native language with other native speakers. Or at least I do. I miss being able to chat with people. Or ask questions and feel confident that I will understand the answer. That’s hard.
The easiest thing, or things rather, is that I am here with my hubby and kiddos, so I’m not missing them, the food is pretty darn fabulous (why, oh why don’t we have all these pastries in America, people?! We have got to get working on this!), and the ocean. The ocean is so, so gorgeous here. Glorious, really. The water is the perfect temperature; refreshing, but not freezing. I haven’t posted pictures yet, but I will soon.
So, there you go. I hope that answers some of your questions and some questions that you didn’t know you had. Feel free to send me more. Unless I get my hands on the Twilight sequels in English, then just give me a few days.
4 comments:
wow! I read this entire entry and was immensely entertained throughout!!! My favorite Question was the one that went like this.... 'Wow.' Yeah, that was my favorite. I think that would be really hard not to not be able to 'chat' in english. But the Siestas sure sound amazing to me!
One more question. What is your mailing address - still holding cards to send...Very interesting FAQs. I would enjoy hearing more about the area you're living in. The modes of transportation, type stores, How far are you from Barcelona, how big is the city you're in, how good the paella is...yum (love that stuff), etc. Really enjoy the travelogues and especially nowing all is well, etc. My Spaniah teacher was from Castille - that was the Spanish I learned and found it to be quite a bit different from Cuban, Mexican, etc...Back to work love and prayers xs&os Gma/GGma
My dear traveled friend :) First off - the freckle painting you are thinking of is by Seurat. Second, I too am being rudely awakened by the fact that you cannot by everything you need at any time you need. Also, while the main language of the Caribbean is English...it doesn't mean it is an understandable English, more of like a lazy, weird, slangish English :) I absolutely LOVE your blog! I think I might do a Q/A thing, as well, on mine because it is so very entertaining! Anyway, keep them coming!!
Ferris Bueller also taught us how to meet women sunbathing in their own backyard without having the cops called on you - classic!
Post a Comment